Sausage and Red Pepper Pasta
Happy New Year! It’s been awhile since I have talked to you! I try and get posts up regularly, I really really do, but sometimes life just gets too busy. We actually have some big news….my husband and I are expecting baby #3. We are very excited! The first trimester was rough, as usual, but I have made it into my 17th week and am feeling a lot better. That means food is no longer my enemy….YAY!!
Today I bring you the recipe for my beloved Sausage and Red Pepper Pasta. Oh man, this is a good one. This pasta is near and dear to my heart because it brings back so many memories for me. I came up with this recipe when my husband and I were dating. I would go to his house after work or school and make a big pot of this pasta, often times sharing it with his Grandpa, who lived with him at the time. I usually made way to much for one sitting so I would eat the leftovers everyday for lunch until it was gone. It became my go to lunch. Now my husband would always be working during lunchtime, so he never actually got to eat this pasta very often and I never realized how much he loved it! When I made a batch to photograph for this post he said, “I love when you make this, it’s amazing” (as he devoured bowl after bowl full). I have now vowed to make it more often.
As I am typing this, I am trying to figure out a way to explain why this simple pasta dish is so special. It only takes 4 ingredients to make, if you don’t count the salt and pepper, and about 20 minutes to put together. I think the red peppers are delicious in this and add a nice sweetness. You can use whatever sausages you like. I always like trying different kinds of specialty sausages and the Chicken Caprese Sausages that I found at Costco are incredibly delicious! Those are a new favorite!
This Sausage and Red Pepper Pasta is a great throw together dinner or lunch that is sure to please the whole family. You can make it for a crowd or just for yourself. I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know that you think!
- 6 Sausages (I used Chicken Caprese)
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- Olive Oil
- 1lb Penne Pasta
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Boil the sausages until cooked through. About 8-10 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pot and place them on a cutting board. Do not dump out the water.
- Bring the water back to a boil and add salt. Drop in your pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Slice the sausages into 1/2 inch rounds. Heat up a skillet on medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the chopped red peppers, salt and pepper, and cook until tender. About 5 minutes. Add in the sausage slices and work them in the pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the pasta and sausage mixture to the pot the water was in and add enough olive oil to coat the pasta. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm. Top with fresh parsley if you like.