Zucchini and Cheese Drop Biscuits
You know those recipes you make a couple of times and then it gets pushed into the back of your recipe binder and forgotten about? Well, that’s exactly what happened to the following recipe! I cannot believe I ever forgot how delicious these Zucchini and Cheese Drop Biscuits are! I mean what is wrong with me? I haven’t made these in quite a while (sad face). I was going through my binder looking for ways I could use the zucchini from my garden and there these biscuits were, staring up at me from the page, begging me to make them. So let’s make them!
First, the flour, baking soda, and salt get whisked together in a large bowl. Next, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Now comes the good stuff! Mix in the shredded zucchini, cheeses, sundried tomatoes, and basil. Now you stir in the milk until just combined.
Drop the dough by 1/3 cupfuls into a greased 9X13 inch pan and bake for 22-25 minutes. I of course topped mine with a little extra cheese because that’s how I roll :).
Look how gorgeous these Zucchini and Cheese Drop Biscuits turn out! Doesn’t the sight of that just make you happy? The edges and tops get all crispy but the inside is super soft, thanks to all that butter. I am a huge sundried tomato fan and they add so much flavor to these biscuits while the zucchini keeps them moist. This is such a great way to use the squash that is in abundance this time of year. Whether you planted a garden or get yours from the grocery store, it’s everywhere!
These are of course a great side dish to any Summer time meal you prepare, but the leftovers are also great for making sandwiches! I love using these for the turkey and ham sandwiches I pack in my husband’s lunch. Another idea is to use them as a casserole topper. You could crumble the leftover biscuits on a casserole or put the raw dough right on top before you bake it.
I vow to never again forget about these Zucchini and Cheese Drop Biscuits!
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place the shredded zucchini in a colander over a plate. Sprinkle with salt and stir. Let sit for ten minutes. Rinse and drain well. Squeeze the zucchini to remove the excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the zucchini, cheeses, sun dried tomatoes, and basil. Add the milk and stir until just moistened.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls into a greased 9X13 inch baking dish. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Taste of Home Magazine