Well hello there! I know you haven’t heard from me in a while and I am sorry for that! I have been having technical difficulties (I won’t bore you with the details) . Don’t worry though, behind the scenes I have been cooking like crazy and trying new recipes. I have so many delicious things I can’t wait to share with you. Today it’s time for some flaky and beautiful Buttermilk Biscuits.
I have tried quite a few biscuit recipes and I am always left wanting more. More flakiness. More rise. More layers. More flavor. Just……more. This recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits is perfect and it leaves you wanting nothing more. Okay that’s not entirely true. They will leave you wanting to EAT more….many many more. This recipe is super simple, which means you are always only 20 minutes away from perfect homemade biscuits.
Ready to hear how complicated this recipe is? You have to sift your dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in 8 tablespoons of butter. Pour in the buttermilk and stir. Then, once a dough has formed, you dump it out onto the counter and fold it over 6 times. Roll the dough into a rectangle half an inch thick and cut out your biscuits. Put them on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Bam. Done. Mission make homemade Buttermilk Biscuits has been accomplished.
The first time I made these, I couldn’t actually believe I made these. They come out of the oven puffed up, showing off all of their wonderful buttery layers. It is a sight to behold. If you are a total food nerd like I am, things like this make you extremely excited and you may have to dance it out right there in the middle of your kitchen :). I love making these for my family on the weekends and topping them with Sausage Gravy. Stay tuned… that recipe will be coming up shortly! Now, go make some of these biscuits so you will be ready.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbls. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 tbls. cold, unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and stir with a fork until it forms a rough ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a rectangle about an inch thick. Fold it over and gently roll out. Repeat 6 times.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about a half an inch thick. Cut the dough into biscuits using a biscuit cutter or floured glass. Make sure when cutting your biscuits you don't twist the cutter. Go straight down and straight up.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
I like to brush the tops of mine with melted butter when the come out of the oven!
Source: Cooking Maniac