Crustless Squash Quiche
I am sad to say that I have ripped out all but one of the squash plants in my garden. I am holding on to a small piece of hope that this last squash plant will produce a few more zucchini for me. We will see if it is meant to be, and I so hope it is! If they don’t come in…..its okay, because I feel that I have given the squash a delicious and final fair well when I used them in this Crustless Squash Quiche. This has been a go to dish for my squash this summer. It is delicious, easy, cheesy, and the perfect accompaniment to any main dish. Let me show you how I put this together.
First, slice the squash into thin rounds and place them in a bowl. We need to draw the water out of them so that the quiche isn’t too loose. Sprinkle the squash with a generous amount of salt, stir, and let sit for 30 minutes. I put my squash into a colander over a bowl so the excess water would drain out the bottom. When the time is up, place the squash, a little at a time, in a cheesecloth and squeeze the water out. Don’t worry about squeezing to hard or bending the squash, it’s tougher than it looks. Now it’s time to assemble!
In the bottom of a lightly sprayed dish (I use a pie plate) layer half of the squash.
Next, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Now goes the rest of the squash slices.
A mixture of milk, cheddar cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper gets poured over the top. Finish with another 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and it’s ready to bake. This quiche bakes for 50-60 minutes until its golden brown and bubbling. How delicious!
Wasn’t that easy? Just a few ingredients and you have a beautiful side dish to serve on a weeknight or for a nicer dinner with company. In my opinion, summer squash has never been treated better! Sure, it loves to be the star in zucchini breads, soups, and such, but I think its favorite way to go is being smothered in cheesy goodness and baked. Isn’t that your favorite too?
- 2lbs summer squash, yellow and zucchini
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Cut the squash into thin slices and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the squash with a generous amount of salt and mix it up with your hands making sure its coated evenly. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- When the 30 minutes is up, put the squash a little at a time in cheesecloth and squeeze out all of the excess water. Set the squash aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
- Lightly spray a quiche pan or pie pan with non stick spray. Layer half of the squash in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Place the rest of the squash on top and pour over the milk, egg, and cheese mixture. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese to the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the quiche is set, golden brown, and bubbling.
Adapted from A Treats Affair