Coffee Shop Banana Streusel Muffins
Happy 4th of July! I know I should be bringing you some red, white, and blue recipe that’s festive, delicious, and perfect for your cookout…but I’m not. Why? Well….I didn’t plan ahead. I’m still new at this food blogger thing and have realized that I need to correlate recipes with holidays. Oooops….well that wont be today, but I am excited to start doing that. Don’t worry though!! Today’s recipe is still amazing. These Coffee Shop Banana Streusel Muffins are one of my favorite things to make when I have overripe bananas. I LOVE them!
For these muffins, you don’t just add mashed bananas into the batter. Oh no. You take those beautifully overripe bananas and you whip them in a mixing bowl until they are super light and fluffy. Like THE most glorious banana fluff. This is part of what makes these muffins so delightful but it gets better. Once you get the wet ingredients combined and the banana fluff incorporated, it’s time to add your dry ingredients, mixing until just wet. The batter gets spooned into your greased and lined muffin tin. Now it is time…time to make the streusel topping that takes these banana muffins from good to great to amazing to out of this world.
For this streusel topping, you use melted butter to get the perfect crumbly texture. You add flour, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and salt right on top of the melted butter and use your fingers to create crumbles. I love this method and I think it works a lot better than using cold butter that you cut into dry ingredients. Now you add it generously, and I mean generously, to the top of your batter.
These muffins bake up beautifully every time. I love how they puff up and come up over the edges of the tin. They really do look like something you would find in a nice coffee shop or bakery, only they come out of your oven! So grab one of these muffins and a cup of coffee, sit down, and relax before your 4th of July cookout begins 🙂
Emily’s Tasty Adventures is now on Yummly! If you see a recipe you love, make sure you click “Yum” on the recipe to save it to your yummly recipe box. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 ripe bananas
- 5 tbls. butter, melted
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 and lightly grease a lined muffin tin.
- Add bananas to your mixer with a paddle attachment and whip on medium high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and brown sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and then incorporate the whipped bananas until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the flour, powdered sugar, cinnamon and salt on top of the melted butter. With your fingers, incorporate the ingredients together creating a crumble.
- Add the crumb topping generously to each muffin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Recipe adapted from In Katrina's Kitchen.