Last night, we broke out the grill for the first time this season! When the weather is nice there is nothing I like better than grilling up some delicious food and eating on our back porch. Usually, my husband is the one that handles all the grilling BUT last night this girl grilled some burgers! I saw these Pimiento Cheeseburgers in the magazine “Grill It” and had to give them a try. If you love burgers and want to put a little twist on the traditional, then this is the burger for you!
Why have a burger with a slice of cheese when you can quickly throw together this delicious Pimiento Cheese topping? It really gives the burger something special. Pimiento Cheese is a Southern thing and I’m not sure why it’s not an all over the country thing because it is amazing. I had it for the first time at a tailgate party where it was served with crackers. That was years ago, but I remember stuffing it in my face and wondering how I hadn’t known about it until then. Now this magazine says, “Put it on burgers” and I say “YES!”
All you need for the Pimiento Cheese topping is: grated onion, sharp and mild cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, pimientos of course, and black pepper. Mix it all together in a bowl and there you go. It’s ready to go on your burgers. For the burger meat, I combined one pound of ground sirloin and one pound of 80% lean ground beef but you can use whatever mix you like best. The burgers don’t take long at all to cook, 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other. Top with the Pimiento Cheese after flipping to the second side (and don’t be shy about it, really pile it on there) and let it get all melty and beautiful. For the buns, I used Miami Onion Rolls that I found at Wegmans (there bakery section makes me so happy). I popped them on the grill for just a minute or two so they would get nicely toasted.
Next time you want to grill out give this recipe a try! I’m sure it will be a hit!
A delicious juicy burger topped with homemade Pimiento Cheese.
- 1 small white onion, grated
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2oz jar of diced pimentoas, drained
- Ground black pepper
- 2lbs 80% lean ground beef OR 1lb ground sirloin steak and 1lb 80% ground beef
- 6 onion flavored hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl, mix together the onion, both kinds of cheese, mayonnaise, and pimientos. Add in lots of black pepper and stir. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- In another bowl, combine the ground beef with a few teaspoons of Worcestershire,
- salt, and pepper. Divide into 6 equal sized patties about 3/4 inch thick. Make sure you put a slight indentation in the center of each patty.
- Oil the grill racks and preheat your grill on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes.
- Place the burgers on the grill and lower the heat to medium. Grill for 5 minutes and then flip burgers over. Continue cooking for 4 more minutes or until the burgers have reached desired doneness.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking add the buns to the grill cut side down.
- Add lots of the pimento cheese mixture to the top of each burger.
- Take the buns off the grill when they are lightly toasted and add your burgers.