Judy’s Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
A friend sent me a message the other day asking for a good Banana Bread recipe. Right away I thought about this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Telling her about how amazing it is made me want to make it for myself. Lucky for me I had overripe bananas ready to use. I love when that happens!
I am a huge fan of traditional Banana Bread. Growing up my mom would make it all the time. I would pop a thick slice in the toaster and then slather it with butter….yum! That was the perfect breakfast, after school snack, or late night snack. Shoot, some nights I might have eaten it for dinner. It was that good. She would make a couple loaves at a time and they didn’t last long. This recipe takes that good old banana bread flavor I know and love and adds chocolate. I will never say no to chocolate! The world would probably be a better place if we added chocolate to everything. Just sayin.
I found this recipe in Taste of Home Magazine’s February 2013 Edition. My Aunt Sharon signed me up for Taste of Home a few years ago and every year for my birthday she renews my subscription (thanks Aunt Sharon!). I love when a new edition shows up in my mailbox. It’s so much fun to flip through and cut out recipes I want to try. This bread was another great find. I don’t know who this elusive Judy is who created this recipe but I am pretty sure if I met her we would become best of friends and bake this bread all of the time!
I have already told you about my love of quick breads because of how easy they are to throw together, and
this recipe is no different. Within minutes you will have this in the oven and soon be feasting on deliciously
moist bread that is packed with banana and chocolate flavor. Adding the chocolate chips doesn’t at all take away from the banana; they are more than happy to share the spotlight. They work so well together. It’s also great that this recipe can easily be doubled because why have one loaf of banana bread when you can have two! Just because this bread has chocolate in it doesn’t mean you can’t have it for breakfast. It is perfect with a cup of coffee. So go ahead and give it a try!
Thank you Judy, whoever you are, for this amazing banana bread recipe!
- ~ 1 1/4 cups sugar
- ~ 2 eggs
- ~ 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- ~ 1/4 cup buttermilk
- ~ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ~ 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ~ 1 tsp. baking powder
- ~ 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- ~ 1/2 tsp. salt
- ~ 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ~ 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Line a 9X5in loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts (optional).
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350degrees for 60-65mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10mins before removing from the pan.