Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Brisket
The magazine aisle at the grocery store is a dangerous place for me. I love cooking magazines! They are so beautiful, and inspiring. Don’t those food photos make you want to eat the page? I have learned to have some self control, so I don’t visit that aisle as often as I used to, but I do have a little magazine collection at home. They are perfect to look through when I am doing my meal planning. I have found some amazing recipes in magazines that have now become favorites in my household.
This Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Brisket is probably one of my favorite recipes of all time! That’s right, of all time! I’m saying it. I found this recipe in the Food Network Magazine and I just knew when I saw it that I needed to make it. Now, I know brisket can be expensive. I usually check prices at multiple places and when I see it have a price drop or at a good price I buy a gigantic piece of it. When I get it home, I cut it into sections that are small enough to fit into my crockpot. I put them in freezer bags and freeze for later. That way I always have some on hand when I want to make this recipe.
Before going in the crockpot, this brisket gets some serious love! The dry rub includes: brown sugar, chipotle chili powder, cumin, celery salt, garlic, salt and pepper. You rub that all over the brisket and makes sure it’s really pressed into the meat. You place it in the crockpot and now its time for the sauce: ketchup, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire. Pour the sauce, along with some water, over the brisket, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours (some serious magic happens in that crockpot). It comes out SO tender. SO flavorful. SO juicy. I love this brisket. I can’t say it enough! It’s even better the next day in a hash with potatoes, onions, garlic, and a couple fried eggs. Add some avocado to that and I am in heaven.
The brisket I photographed for this post was bought from Hemp’s Meats in Jefferson, MD. It’s a family owned business that’s been around for generations. I am hoping to feature them as a “Tasty Place” here on my blog soon! They had a great price on brisket, $4.69/lb.
This juicy and tender Barbecue Beef Brisket is so easy to make. The slow cooker does all the work for you. It turns out perfect every time!
- ~ 3 tbls. packed light brown sugar
- ~ 1 1/2 tbls. chipotle chili powder
- ~ 2 tsps. ground cumin
- ~ 1 tsp. celery salt
- ~ 1 clove garlic, minced
- ~ Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ~ 4 1/2 to 5 pounds point-cut beef brisket, trimmed (fat cap intact)
- ~ 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- ~ 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- ~ 1 tbls. Worcestershire sauce
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, chipotle chili powder, cumin, celery salt, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Rub all over the brisket.
- Transfer to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- In the same small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the ketchup, vinegar, and Worcestershire. Pour the sauce and 3/4 cup of water over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Move the brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 10mins.
- Skim off the excess fat from the sauce and whisk in the remaining 1/2cup of ketchup.
- Slice the brisket and serve topped with sauce.
Adapted from Food Network Magazine