Zesty Lime, Shrimp, and Avocado Salsa
I am usually a fan of a lazy, relaxing, stay inside, rainy day, but all this rain we have had lately is getting ridiculous. Fifteen rainy days in a row…not cool…not cool at all. There is only so much I can do to entertain two one year olds indoors (seriously, we have to get out of this house!). I long for warm sunny days full of running around, playing in the dirt, and ending with dinner outside on the back porch. But for now, let’s leave this rain behind and dream of sunnier days with this salsa recipe.
As the weather gets warmer and cookout season begins, it’s great to have some go to recipes that are both portable and delicious. This Zesty Lime, Shrimp and Avocado Salsa is the perfect appetizer for this time of year (okay really anytime of year). It is refreshing, full of citrus flavor, and just plain good.
I have made this dish many times for dinner parties and cookouts. It is always a big hit! Juicy and sweet jumbo shrimp love to be bathed in lime juice. They get tossed with fresh cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, jalapenos, and red onions. Served up with tortilla chips, you can’t go wrong! Oh, and don’t even think about buying pre cooked shrimp for this recipe. I confess, the first time I made this I was going to go the pre cooked route but the shrimp was double the price! No way! I will roast my own shrimp thank you very much.
This salsa takes just minutes to make and the longer it sits the better it gets. These ingredients love each other so they won’t mind sitting in the refrigerator until its time to serve. So go ahead and make it ahead of time!
- ~ 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- ~ 2 limes, juice of
- ~ 1 tsp olive oil
- ~ 1/4 tsp kosher salt, black pepper to taste
- ~ 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- ~ 1 medium tomato, diced
- ~ 2 medium hass avocados, chopped
- ~ 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine
- ~ 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the peeled and cleaned shrimp on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle with 2tbls. olive oil, and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 8-10mins, flipping over half way through. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a small bowl combine the chopped red onion, lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Let sit
- and marinade for 5 minutes.
- To a large bowl add the chopped shrimp, avocados, jalapenos, cilantro, and tomato. Pour in the onions and all the juice they have marinated in.
- Gently toss to combine. (You want it all incorporated but don't want to break up the avocado to much).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips.