Glazed Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread
So I have never made a bread with yeast…shocked? So am I. I think it’s because I tend to be impatient and well yeast requires patience. Actually, my first dealings with yeast were when I made that “Really Simple Pizza Dough” on my first blog post. I’m the type of girl that will bake a cheesecake, pop it in the freezer for an hour and call it ready to go. I just want to eat it! I really need to make a yeast bread soon. Especially, since my mom is a master bread maker! Mom teach me your ways! (I promise I will post about that soon). For now, I have a delicious quick bread recipe. I love quick breads. Mix ingredients together, bake and eat. Now that’s right up my alley.
I stumbled across this recipe for Glazed Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread last week on, you guessed it, Pinterest! Normally with apple breads, surprise surprise, you have to chop up apples and on this particular day I just didn’t feel like it. So imagine my excitement when I saw that this bread doesn’t require any chopping! That’s right folks, it uses applesauce. This bread couldn’t be easier to make. You combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another, mix them together until just combined, pour into the loaf pan, and bake! After it comes out of the oven, you top it with a glaze that gives the bread extra sweetness and keeps it moist. This glaze is pretty sticky so have napkins at the ready!
The day I made this my wonderful friend Abbie was over for a visit. She and I have been friends for 17 years! How are we even old enough to be friends that long? Oh my goodness! I told her if she helped me with my bread photo shoot then she could eat some. Yes, I bribed her. We captured some great photos and ate lots of this bread! I also made sure to send her home with some. Thanks for your help Abbie.
- ~ 2 cups all purpose flour
- ~ 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ~ 1/4 tsp. salt
- ~ 2 tsps. cinnamon
- ~ 2 tsps. baking powder
- ~ 1 cup sugar
- ~ 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- ~ 2 eggs beaten
- ~ 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ~ 1 cup applesauce
- ~ 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ~ 1 cup powdered sugar (add more if needed to thicken)
- ~ 1/4 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and whisk together the applesauce and powdered sugar.
- Remove the bread from the pan when it has cooled a bit and pour the glaze on top.
- This recipe makes one loaf using a 9X5in loaf pan. I doubled the recipe to get two loaves.